St. Patrick's Day is here, which means green food coloring sales are through the roof. No offense to food coloring companies, but we'd rather do it the natural way. Ann Hodgman, writing for Slashfood, has some ideas:
- Add some green peas to your mashed potatoes to change the color (but not the taste).
- Use pesto to double green your spinach pasta, or to make green garlic bread.
- Green bread crumbs for your organic chicken breast? Easy. Just grind some parsley with toast in a food processor.
- Wheatgrass juice! Use this super healthy, taste-free natural colorant to turn just about any food bright green, including rice, mayo, cream cheese, dips, or even cookie dough.
- Guacamole may not be Irish but it's definitely green. And good!
Okay, we're officially hungry.
Photo of wheatgrass from okio (Flickr)